Methi Malai Matar is a classic North Indian dish that is a delightful combination of fresh fenugreek leaves (methi), green peas (matar), and a creamy, rich sauce. It is a popular vegetarian dish that is usually served with roti or rice and is enjoyed by people of all ages.
The dish is known for its aromatic and flavorful taste, thanks to the combination of spices and the distinctive taste of fenugreek leaves. Fenugreek leaves, also known as methi, have a slightly bitter taste that complements the creamy sauce perfectly. The dish is mildly spiced, making it a great option for those who do not enjoy very spicy food.
The creamy sauce is made with a mixture of cream and milk, which gives the dish a rich and velvety texture. Cashew nuts and onion paste are added to the sauce, which not only adds to the creaminess but also gives it a slightly sweet and nutty taste. The dish is also flavored with spices such as cumin, coriander, turmeric, and garam masala, which add to the depth of flavors.
Methi Malai Matar is a versatile dish that can be made with fresh or dried fenugreek leaves. It can be enjoyed as a main course for lunch or dinner or as a side dish. It is also a great option for entertaining guests, as it is easy to make and can be prepared in advance. Overall, Methi Malai Matar is a delicious and comforting dish that is perfect for any occasion.
Methi Malai Matar is a popular North Indian dish made with fresh fenugreek leaves, green peas, and a creamy sauce. Here is a recipe for making delicious Methi Malai Matar at home:
- 1 cup fresh fenugreek leaves (methi)
- 1 cup green peas (matar)
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup onion paste
- 1/4 cup cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- Clean the fenugreek leaves and chop them finely.
- Boil the green peas in salted water for 2-3 minutes and drain the water.
- In a blender, blend together the onion paste and cashew nuts into a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. Once they start to sizzle, add ginger and garlic paste and sauté for a minute.
- Add the onion-cashew paste and cook for 2-3 minutes on low flame.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, and salt. Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chopped fenugreek leaves and cook for 5-6 minutes until they wilt and become soft.
- Add the boiled green peas and mix well.
- Pour in the cream and milk and cook for 5-7 minutes until the sauce thickens and reaches the desired consistency.
- Serve hot with roti or rice.
Enjoy your delicious Methi Malai Matar!
Nutritional value of Methi Malai Matar
Methi Malai Matar is a dish that is primarily made up of fenugreek leaves, green peas, cream, and spices. Here is the approximate nutritional value of Methi Malai Matar per serving (1 cup or 250g) based on a standard recipe:
- Calories: 355
- Protein: 10g
- Fat: 22g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fiber: 6g
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 475mg
The dish is high in calories and fat due to the use of cream and cashew nuts. However, it is also a good source of protein and fiber, thanks to the fenugreek leaves and green peas. Fenugreek leaves are known for their high fiber content, which helps to promote good digestive health. They are also a good source of vitamins A and C, iron, and calcium.
Green peas are also a good source of fiber, protein, and vitamins such as vitamin K, vitamin C, and folate. They also contain antioxidants that help to protect the body against damage caused by free radicals.
Overall, Methi Malai Matar is a dish that is relatively high in calories and fat but also contains valuable nutrients that are beneficial for overall health. As with any food, it is best to enjoy Methi Malai Matar in moderation as part of a balanced diet.
Methi Malai Matar is a delicious Indian dish made with fenugreek leaves (methi), green peas (matar), and a creamy sauce. This dish not only offers a delightful taste but also provides several health benefits due to its nutritious ingredients. Some of the health benefits of Methi Malai Matar include:
- Rich in Nutrients: Methi Malai Matar contains a variety of nutrients like vitamins (A, C, K), minerals (iron, calcium, potassium), and dietary fiber, contributing to overall well-being.
- Fenugreek Benefits: Fenugreek leaves used in the dish are known to have potential health benefits, including aiding digestion, controlling blood sugar levels, and supporting heart health.
- High Fiber Content: The combination of fenugreek leaves and green peas provides a good amount of dietary fiber, which aids in digestion, promotes gut health, and helps prevent constipation.
- Protein Source: The green peas in Methi Malai Matar are a good source of plant-based protein, which is essential for muscle health and various bodily functions.
- Healthy Fats: The creamy sauce often includes dairy, which provides healthy fats and essential nutrients like calcium and vitamin D.
- Boosts Immunity: The dish contains vitamins and antioxidants that support a healthy immune system, helping the body fight off infections and illnesses.
- Energy Boost: Methi Malai Matar offers a good balance of carbohydrates and protein, providing a sustained energy boost.
- Calcium Source: The inclusion of dairy in the creamy sauce provides calcium, promoting bone health and preventing osteoporosis.
- B Vitamins: Methi Malai Matar includes ingredients rich in B vitamins like folate, which are important for various bodily functions, including metabolism and cell division.
It is important to note that the overall health benefits of Methi Malai Matar can be influenced by the specific ingredients and cooking method used. For the most nutritious version, consider using fresh and high-quality ingredients while minimizing the use of excessive oil or unhealthy additives. Enjoy this flavorful dish as a part of a well-balanced diet for a satisfying and nourishing meal.
Tips and Tricks
Here are some tips and tricks to make delicious Methi Malai Matar:
- Fresh Fenugreek Leaves: Whenever possible, use fresh fenugreek leaves for the best flavor. If fresh leaves are not available, you can use dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi), but adjust the quantity as dried leaves have a more concentrated flavor.
- Blanching Fenugreek Leaves: Fenugreek leaves can sometimes have a bitter taste. To reduce the bitterness, blanch the leaves in boiling water for a minute, then drain and rinse with cold water before using them in the dish.
- Adjust Creaminess: Adjust the amount of cream or cashew paste in the gravy to achieve your preferred level of creaminess. For a lighter version, you can use milk or yogurt instead of heavy cream.
- Green Peas: If using frozen green peas, thaw them before adding to the dish. If you prefer a sweeter taste, you can briefly cook the green peas in boiling water before adding them to the gravy.
- Cashew Paste: To make a creamy cashew paste, soak cashews in warm water for about 15-20 minutes before blending them into a smooth paste. This adds richness and thickness to the gravy.
- Spice Level: Adjust the spice level to your taste by adding or reducing green chilies or red chili powder. If you prefer a milder taste, deseed the green chilies before using them.
- Garam Masala: Add a pinch of garam masala towards the end of cooking to enhance the flavor profile of the dish.
- Avoid Overcooking: Be careful not to overcook the green peas and fenugreek leaves to maintain their color, texture, and nutritional value.
- Simmering the Gravy: Once you add the cream or cashew paste, simmer the gravy on low heat to allow the flavors to meld together and create a rich and creamy consistency.
- Garnish: Garnish the Methi Malai Matar with a drizzle of fresh cream and a sprinkle of chopped cilantro or fenugreek leaves before serving for an appealing presentation.
With these tips and tricks, you can make a lip-smacking Methi Malai Matar that’s bursting with flavors and sure to impress your family and guests! Enjoy this delightful dish with naan, roti, or rice for a satisfying meal.
Methi Malai Matar is a creamy and flavorful Indian curry made with fenugreek leaves (methi), green peas (matar), and a rich, creamy gravy. Here are some serving suggestions to enjoy this delicious dish:
- Steamed Rice: Serve Methi Malai Matar with steamed white rice for a comforting and wholesome meal.
- Indian Bread: Pair the dish with Indian bread like naan, roti, or paratha. The creamy gravy complements the soft and chewy texture of these bread varieties.
- Jeera Rice: Methi Malai Matar can also be served with jeera rice (cumin rice) for a flavorful combination.
- Salad: Accompany the curry with a simple cucumber, tomato, and onion salad for a refreshing side.
- Raita: Prepare a cooling yogurt-based raita with grated cucumber, mint, and spices. The raita complements the richness of the curry.
- Lacha Paratha: Lacha paratha, with its flaky layers, goes well with the creamy and flavorful Methi Malai Matar.
- Garnish: Garnish the Methi Malai Matar with a drizzle of fresh cream and a sprinkle of dried fenugreek leaves for added flavor and visual appeal.
- Pulao: Serve the dish with fragrant vegetable pulao for a complete and satisfying meal.
- Cucumber-Tomato Salsa: Prepare a tangy salsa with chopped cucumber, tomatoes, onions, and a dash of lemon juice to complement the creamy curry.
- Pickles: Pair Methi Malai Matar with spicy Indian pickles for an extra burst of flavor.
Methi Malai Matar is a rich and creamy dish, making it suitable for special occasions or when you want to treat yourself and your guests to a delicious North Indian meal. Enjoy the aromatic fenugreek leaves, creamy gravy, and tender green peas with your choice of accompaniments!
How does Methi Malai Matar taste?
Methi Malai Matar has a rich and creamy taste with a delightful blend of flavors. The fenugreek leaves (methi) impart a slightly bitter and earthy taste, which is balanced by the sweetness of the green peas (matar) and the creamy texture of the sauce. The addition of spices and aromatic ingredients like garlic, ginger, and garam masala adds depth and complexity to the overall taste profile. The combination of these flavors creates a savory, comforting, and satisfying dish.
Can Methi Malai Matar be made vegan or dairy-free?
Yes, Methi Malai Matar can be made vegan or dairy-free by using plant-based substitutes for the dairy ingredients. Instead of cream, you can use coconut cream or cashew cream for a creamy texture. Replace ghee or butter with vegetable oil or vegan butter. Ensure that the vegan substitutes are compatible with your dietary preferences and allergies.